CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 10, 2008

True and Everlasting Happiness - Being MOM!

On Sunday, we were able to watch General Conference on the computer and I absolutely loved the last 2 talks of the 2nd session that day. Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk was a direct answer to prayers for me and I knew then that I am doing my very best for our family, even when times get tough. I felt so loved and honored to be a wife and mother. A lot of times our work goes without thanks or recognition and we feel so tired, ragged, like we can't catch up, or we have to compete with the other mom or wife, or have to put our kids in so many activities to make them who we want them to be. Elder Ballard helped me see that the chosen path we have decided for our family of having less to have more is the right thing to do. We're trying to limit the kids' activities so that our family can have time together. We have cut out TV all together, which I highly recommend, so that we can focus on each other and have less meltdowns from the kids. If we want to get the news or watch my favorite show, "Lost"!!!, we can still watch it on our computer when we want. It was wonderful to hear a general authority, one of our apostles, tell us that women are very special and have a very special purpose here and that we should be told more often. I complain sometimes. It IS hard! Elder Ballard said being a mom was hard and it made me feel all the much better because he was also telling all of the husbands and fathers this, too, that they would never understand how hard. I felt validated for all the times I've cried to Paul about my hard life at home. I love being able to stay at home with my kiddos, though, and am so thankful that I can. I wouldn't trade it for anything, well, ok, maybe for the occasional break to get a treat for me like a spa pedicure, or shopping trip, or time out with some friends...hint, hint, Paul!! I can't wait for the Ensign to come out so that I can go back and read through Elder Ballard's talk again. I'm sure I will be looking to it often for reassurance and help from our leaders.

I'm so thankful for a living prophet today that can guide the world and the church in the ways we should go. I miss President Gordon B. Hinckley terribly. He was a wonderful man and the day he died I cried a moment, and then smiled, thinking of his reuniting with his precious wife and how I'm sure the reunion in heaven with everyone was a joyous occasion. How wonderful, though, to know that I could sustain our new prophet, seer, and revelator, President Thomas S. Monson, this weekend. It was so great to hear the first conference with him as the prophet and to think of the years ahead. I know he feels such a heavy load on his shoulders, especially following in the footsteps of such a loved prophet, but I know he is called of God in this calling on Earth. I love how he asked us to pray for him as he will for us. Of course we will pray for him and believe that his words and teachings are direct counsel from the Lord to help us get back to him and be happy here. I'm so thankful for a religion that leads me to true and everlasting happiness.

Thanks to one of my friends for her quote on her blog (Heather), this sums up what I feel as I am thankful today to be MOM!!!

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived. " — Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Here's a link to Elder Ballard's talk...ENJOY!!

3 comments:

robyncreates said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I felt the exact same way listening to these talks on conference and enjoyed hearing your thoughts and take on them as well. :) HOw blessed we are!

Jennifer said...

I loved that talk, too. Great post. You make me a better person, Allison. I'm so thankful I can count you as one of my friends.

Melissa said...

Thank you for your testimony Allison! What a great way to use a blog, for sharing your testimony.